How To Define Your Target Audience?
Digital Marketing Made Simple
Thanks to social media and Google campaigns, the cost of placing ads that target consumers is more affordable than ever.
Where once businesses had to target their digital marketing efforts at everyone, campaigns can now be fine-tuned to reach a target audience. There is just one question. Namely, how do businesses define who their target audience is in the first place?
What Is A Target Audience?
A target audience is the intended group of people that are most likely interested in a certain product. In marketing, it is a group of consumers identified as the recipients for a particular message.
Why Defining Your Target Audience is Vital
One of the biggest modern marketing mistakes is an attempt to target marketing efforts at everyone. This is due to the fact digital marketing doesn’t prove cost-effective when social media ads are too far reaching.
- With pay per click and social media ads, businesses pay every time an ad is clicked
- Consumers who click ads with no intention of buying increase marketing costs
- Digital marketing budgets will see more clicks coupled with fewer conversions, reducing the length of time a campaign can run
Put simply, social media ads and pay per click campaigns do increase click-throughs to landing pages. As a result, digital marketing costs can spiral, without experiencing any real benefit.
How to Identify Your Target Audience
The easiest way to target digital marketing efforts effectively is to create a customer profile unique to your niche.
Few people in their 80’s buy as many tech devices as people in their 20’s and 30’s. Basic market trends see more females engage with ads for hair care and fashion accessories than males. This being the case, identifying your target audience is all about creating a profile of who will likely buy your services.
- Ads and campaigns should target specific age groups
- Consumer gender, income level, and geographic location data will target ads and marketing efforts
- Use consumer personal interests to fine-tune digital marketing strategies
- Relationship status, profession, and education levels are key demographic identifiers
How to Gather Basic Information on Your Target Audience
In short of enlisting the help of the NSA, many businesses don’t know where to start when it comes to profiling their target audience. The good news is that even in-depth profiling can be undertaken easily.
Easy Target Audience Marketing Hacks
- Look at Facebook and other social media profiles of competing businesses
- Conduct marketing surveys which encourage participation from existing customers
- Offer incentives for people to follow on social media and/or subscribe to newsletters
- Identify social media influencers of products and services, looking at key demographic data
Check Out Your Competition
Once you know who your target audience is, digital marketing becomes easier. This is thanks to the fact that search engine and social media giants allow businesses to target ads at people with specific interests and behavior patterns. When in doubt all businesses need to do is undertake competitor research. This and implement a way to collate data in such a way which helps identify specific demographic details which can be used to target their own marketing efforts.
If you need any assistance with finding your target audience,
please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org